Ballyduff Upper Co. Waterford

ballyduff_01_smOur Community has approximately seven hundred inhabitants with its county bordered by South Tipperary in the north and Cork to the West.

Ballyduff is a noted angling centre and enjoys a picturesque setting on the Blackwater scenic drive.

It is predominantly an agricultural community. It is also the home of some excellent equine success most notably in the Cheltenham gold cup in 2010.

Locally there are many stately homes and tourist attractions in the area including the Towers on the Lismore Road, Mocollop Castle and Church ruins including Mass rock and Holy Well at Tobarnahulla.

Ballyduff Upper Community Council

Ballyduff Upper Community Council is a democratically elected organisation comprising of 48 members.

A brief history of our community hall is that in 1944 on the first of October the foundation stone was laid, seven months later this hall named after our patron saint Michael was the second such hall to be opened under the umbrella of the Muintir na Tire organisation by Canon John Hayes the founder of Muintir na Tire.
ballyduff_03_sm

Today this hall has been developed into a multifaceted Community Centre through various funding initiatives under the Rural Development program operated under Waterford Leader Partnership. Our latest on going development is a fifty four space car park. We acknowledge the generosity of Dr. Donovan, his wife Kay and family for making the land available for the enlargement of this hall and car park.

Ballyduff Upper Community Councils core principle is the active encouragement and participation of all members in the development of social and economic needs of this area for the greater benefit of the community. It is refreshing that in the present economic climate that three businesses have opened in our village.

Achievements & Previous Projects

ballyduff_02_sm
  • Ballyduff has never been afraid to embrace change, this is evident in that as the seeds that were sown in 1944 have continued to grow over the years. Our parish now contains fourteen clubs and associations many of which have gone onto receive national awards, these include the Drama group who celebrated thirty years this year. They won the all-Ireland title for their presentation of “On Raffertys Hill” in 2008
  • In 2000 to celebrate the millennium a multipurpose sports hall was opened in our sports field.
  • In 2007 the Carnegie library was transformed into a hall to suit the needs of our youth and of our senior citizens as well as training centre for music, song and dance.
  • In 2007 Ballyduff Upper won the all-Ireland Pride of Place in their category this was a combined effort of all clubs and organisations in this Parish that we are proud to call Ballyduff Upper.
  • GAA continues to provide success in the sport fields.
  • Comhaltas members have set many a stage alight through their music song and dance with members being part of the River Dance that has toured the world.